UK Global Road Safety - Sponsor "Driver of the Year Award" CT-19
July 17, 2019
Driverless trucks are on their way!
August 25, 2017
Ministers have announced that "driverless" lorries, which all accelerate and brake at the same time, will be trialled on Britain's motorways for the first time in 2018.
Up to three lorries will travel in automated convoys which will be controlled by a driver in the lead vehicle in a bid to cut congestion and emissions.
The technology has already been successfully trialled in Europe and the US, but the AA has said that they are not suitable for the UK's congested motorways.
Ministers said that a driver will be in the cab of each of the lorries controlling the steering and ready to take over full control in the event of a problem.
The Government has provided £8.1 million funding towards the trials, which will initially take place on a test track before being carried out on motorways.
Details of where the motorway trials will be conducted have not been released, but the Government has previously indicated the trials could take place on a stretch of the M6 near Carlisle.
Paul Maynard, the transport minister, said: "We are investing in technology that will improve people's lives. "Advances such as lorry platooning could benefit businesses through cheaper fuel bills and other road users thanks to lower emissions and less congestion.
"But first we must make sure the technology is safe and works well on our roads, and that's why we are investing in these trials."